Sunday, January 13, 2013

Fondant Frills


I've been admiring Maggie Austin's Fondant Frill cake for quite some time and was SUPER excited when she created a Craftsy class to explain her technique.  I must have watched this video  10 times- Certain sections, many more... I had a few stumbles along the way, but I didn't give up and I'm so happy with the end result....

My fondant color gradient

 The first layer...  My fondant kept tearing, I had too much water on my finger when I applied it.  I started using a paint brush which worked much better for me...


Here's one thing you should NEVER do... Stick a knife in the pasta roller to try to unlodge a paper towel that is stuck... unfortunetly  I ruined this pasta roller... This happened after only the second row of fondant was applied... After a few trips to some department stores, I obtained a new pasta roller, learned my lesson and never placed a sharp object near the thing and I was able to finish the cake the next night... Crisis overted...



The "cake" before I turned it over.  I was too nervous to do this on actual cake and also didn't have the time to bake a cake so I used a stryofoam cake base


Post Flip.



My Cabbage roses prior to dusting...



After dusting...  So happy with the way they turned out...

The completed cake




No comments: