Monday, January 12, 2009

Christmas Bell















We celebrated Christmas a little later with my dad's side of the family this year. The 11th is the official last day of the Christmas holiday season in the catholic religion so we were safe, we just got it in.

This cake was unofficially a test cake for my niece's birthday cake. She wants a barbie cake for her birthday. I practiced making the skirt by baking a cake in my large papered chef glass measuring bowl. It worked surprisingly well. I thought the cake was going to be overly dry since it was in the oven for about 80 minutes but it wasn't. Yeah...

I originally intended to make a big looped bow for the top of the cake but unfortunately that didn't work out. I didn't form the loops correctly, too much of an "end" to the bow and I tried to make another batch of fondant but I had my first fondant disaster.... I think my house is so cold the marshmallow cooled before the confectionery sugar could get incorporated. So... I went with plan B which were red roses and detailing around the bottom.






My Mistakes- One was the looped Bow that wasn't meant to be ... and the other was the fondant that just didn't happen, no matter how long I mixed. The powder on the right was all suppose to be in the lump of marshmellow on the left...

No comments: