Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Fall Shower of Flowers






My cake making is connecting me to more and more people, which is exciting for me. It isn't social networking, it's cake networking! I made this cake at the request of my friend Leigh. She and her office are celebrating the pending marriage of one of their co-workers. I was excited to learn that some of Leigh's co-workers have checked out my blog... I hope the cake lived up to the expectations...
The top layer was chocolate, bottom was yellow. Covered the cake in buttercream and then smoothed with Viva papertowel method. Made mums and roses out of a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. The ribbon was regular fondant. I used my pasta maker for the first time with this cake. It make it a lot easier with less rolling with the rolling pin. Thanks Mom for finding me a pasta maker!

Here are some pics of the cake in progress:



Most people have pizza cutters to cut pizza- Not me... I use them to cut fondant!
I also don't use my ice cream scooper for Ice cream, mine fills cupcake's to the perfect height...

To give the cake some stability, I insert plastic straws to hold the top layer of cake, then cut to the desired height. It's a lot easier then wooden dowels. The top layer is sitting on a cardboard cake circle which then rests on the straws...
The start of the mums...

No comments: