Monday, June 16, 2008

A Father's Day Fish




To celebrate father's day I made my dad a cake with a fish on it... I'm not sure which my dad likes better- hunting or fishing... but it's fishing season so I choose a fish. He is also wearing a t-shirt that say's "I'd rather be fishing with my grandchildren". The fish on the cake is a small mouth bass (I think), I got the image from a fellow decorator on cakecentral- Bethallen.

For the past few years, once a year, I've gone fishing with my dad. I love it. It's peaceful on the water, the sun is usually shining and occasionally it's exciting because you catch something! I enjoy the time spend with my dad...

This cake is all buttercream icing. I used a new chocolate cake recipe that called for sour cream and chocolate chips. I still used eggwhites and applesauce. The fish is a Frozen Butter Cream Transfer. I added some pictures of the progression of filling it in. I start with the outline and then build the colors from there. I need to figure out how to make the plaque a little thinner so I don't have to back fill with so much icing...


This is the original image I outlined in black...



Then Filled in Red...

Added Green and WhiteAdded more icing to strengthen Filled in the rest of the background, smoothed it out and then covered it with blue icing, the same color as the base of the cake. Placed in the freezer for about an hour until it was hard.

No comments: