Saturday, July 10, 2010

Tools of the Trade...




It is my Brother in Laws 50th birthday.  He's an overall handy guys so I thought a theme of tools would be appropriate for his 50th birthday celebration... I took my mom and my grandmom out to lunch last week and we made a run to foose cookie cutters in fleetwood, Pa. If you ever need cookie cutters, and are in or near PA, this is where you need to go. They also have an on-line store. I  LOVE this store.  I bought the 4 tools you see on the cake. I also picked up some bugs and butterflies so you will see them on future cakes.
The cake itself is a white cake with a fresh strawberry puree added. The filling is a blackberry Jam. Yummy... The tools are made of a 50/50 mix of gum paste and fondant. I made the original cut first then added the handles to give them some depth.  After I added the tools I felt like the cake needed a bit more so I made a tape measure and added the measurement of 50 all the way around...  This cake was inspired by many I saw on cake central.  Thanks ladies for the many ideas. I dabbled in taking a video while I worked on this cake as well.  I'm working on how to shorten it into a 3 minute clip and will hopefully post in the near future.  Enjoy!
My messy work area...

 The tools are on... Just needs a little something else...
 A tape measure... Here it is cut...

Added to the cake...
I added a few nails and screws and the cake is complete...


 The carnage...

No comments: