Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Red Velvet Baby Cake



Was asked to make a red velvet cake for a friend of a friend's baby shower. The special order of this cake was that it had to be red velvet in memory of the expectant mom's grandmother. Easy enough, I thought... I used my largest pan 12x 18 x2 and mixed the first three boxes of red velvet mix as I normally do. caked cooled, flipped it out of the pan. No problem. I then mixed the next three boxes for the second layer except this time I ran out of regular eggs so I used all egg whites. Apparently when you are making a large cake you need the eggs to make the cake less crumbly... When I flipped the second layer onto the already crumb coated bottom layer it broke apart. It was 10:30pm. I was sad... What to do. The next day I went to the store to buy more mix. Guess what- Not everyone sells it anymore. I went to 6 grocery stores including my favorite Giant until I found it at the shoprite down the street... Yikes! This time I didn't have any problems when I flipped the cake over.
The rest of the cake went smoothly. I made three batches of icing- it took 9 cups of icing to cover this large cake. I smoothed the butter cream, added fondant circle accents, did a transfer pattern using white chocolate for the baby carriage.

The cake tragedy- a crumbled mess



The mess- cleaned up. I think I'm going to try cake pops with the crumbles...


The second cake-in one piece waiting to be flipped onto the bottom layer


The bottom layer crumb coated


The back of the chocolate transfer


Fondant circle cut outs


Circles drying


The carriage flipped onto the cake. In hind sight I should have made it bigger but you live and learn...


The carriage and circles- I thought it needed a little more so I added a circle of stars around the carriage, you can see on the final picture at the top of the blog

No comments: