Saturday, April 4, 2009

Smokin' 40th




My brother's girlfriend brother in law (got that?) turned 40 and it was a great opportunity to try my first special effect's cake. Nicole, my brother's girlfriend, came up with the idea for the cake and of course, i couldn't refuse to give it a try. Nicole and Kevin built the house out of foam board. Nicole also personalized the fire truck, ambulance and helicopter for the Red Hill Fire Company, Upper Perk Ambulance and Lehigh Valley Medivac.

Do you see the cows on the cake? If you don't immediately understand (I had to explain the concept a few times in a few different way... you are such a city girl Jules!!) You can visit this website to learn more about this phenomenon.

Of course the dry ice gave us a few problems... I didn't test it out because I was so afraid I wouldn't have enough left by the time the party started. I picked it Thursday, kept it in a cooler and hoped it didn't evaporate before Saturday. Unfortunately the dry ice just rolled out of the bottom instead of floated up... We made a few attempts and this is a picture of the most we were able to get. It is the thought that counts, right? Lesson learned- you need to have warm water added consistently to keep the smoke coming.



The house was not edible- I used rubber cement to glue on the good and fruity roof... Probably against every cake rule, but I didn't feel like messing with royal icing...

Overall, this was a fun cake to do, my biggest cake yet- took 8 boxes of mix.

Best line of the night "Amy- you should get out there and dance your fondant off!" Quote from Nicole's Dad... He CRACKS me up...


Here are some pics of the cake in progress:










No comments: