Saturday, August 16, 2008

Digestive Tract Optional Cake...



This is a very unique cake. It isn't everyday that you get asked to make a cake in the shape of the digestive tract... but Michelle, isn't your run of the mill customer... Michelle has faced some medical problems that have reshaped her digestive track. Despite many challenges she has faced along the way, she has an INCREDIBLE sense of humor and love of life. I met Michelle last night for the first time and feel honored to have been part of her celebration along with her fiance Paul, sister Ali, friend Steve and of course Rebecca! We ate at an AWESOME restaurant Estia. I highly recommend it if you want a great meal!
After a few e-mail exchanges with Paul I got a better sense of the cake he had envisioned and found a line drawing picture I could trace and then color in with buttercream icing. This technique is called a frozen buttercream transfer. It's essentially like coloring, but with icing.

I was also excited about the cupcake idea... When Michelle was in the hospital, Paul would write on the white board on Michelle's wall, One of the things he wrote was a colon with a line through. I took that idea and made cupcakes out of it...

The cake itself was chocolate. I used a new recipe that added sour cream, chocolate pudding mix, an additional egg white and chocolate chips. It was very dense but really good... I might have to make that again for another cake...
Here is a little tutorial on how I made the icing image: (note to self- invert the image next time...)
A close up of the cupcakes:Cupcakes in transport...

Iphone Fun!!

Earlier this day Rebecca and I went to the Apple Store to learn about our new Iphones... We are such dorks but our phones are seriously cool... Read her blog to learn more and to see some pictures we were really excited about...

No comments: