Monday, May 12, 2008

My Mom


















A cake for my Mom... It was especially important to me to make this cake for her since I credit my mom for giving me my crafting skills. Mom has ALWAYS been working on something... Wreaths, clay, crocheted towels, painted Santa's, paintings, scrap booking etc... You name it, my mom can make a craft out of it. It's always fun and an adventure to look into mom's crafting room where she is "storing" her raw materials that are just waiting to be turned into a masterpiece. Now that mom and dad are retired, they hit the yard sales and auctions so mom is routinely finding me cake pans and other fun treasurers to add to my ever growing mound of cake decorating supplies (I don't have a crafting room... yet). Mom gave me the heart shaped pans I made this cake in. The inspiration for this cake came from a cake I found on cake central. I made roses and the ribbon out of fondant, the original used real flowers and ribbon. The bow cracked by the time I made it up to my parent's house but otherwise the cake survived my driving...


I made marshmallow fondant for the first time for this cake. It worked! I was so excited. I had visions of a bad experience with the marshmallow but amazingly it worked. Once the marshmallow cooled the fondant was a little hard to roll out so I counted it as an upper body workout as I was rolling it thinner and thinner. The Marshmallow fondant has a different texture then regular fondant so I used regular fondant for the yellow flowers and the ribbon. I love the way the marshmallow tastes and will probably use as a base fondant for cakes from now on....


My friend Leigh came over while I was making the cake. Bourbon Slushies are always helpful when decorating a cake. I enjoyed the company as I was rolling and we were talking... I added a picture of Lindsey, because she is so darn cute...

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Wow... This cake is a masterpiece! It looks beautiful. Marshmallow fondant? I totally want that on my next cake! You are so crafty!