Sunday, March 30, 2008

Daffodil's and Daisy's





Happy Birthday Cindy! The crew got together (minus Michelle who is at school-we missed you!) to celebrate Cindy's birthday. Bernie, Grandmom, Aunt Kay and Uncle Mike joined our family for dinner and cake. It was a beautiful day, slightly cold but nice enough that the kids played outside after dinner. It always makes me feel that all is right with the world when I spend time with Lilly, Avah, Lindsey and my family. I truly enjoy it and I'm glad we are able to do it as often as we do...

The cake was inspired from a cake I saw on cakecentral. The website was down today I couldn't compare how I did... I was happy with my first attempt at daffodil's and daisy's. They are made with buttercream using tip #104. I used a flower nail for both flowers and froze them for about a 1/2 hr before moving them onto the cake. To form the daffodil pointed petal I used a paint brush dipped in a little cornstarch to gently form the peak. I added two daisy's straight onto the sides of the cake and attached an extra daffodil to the side with icing. Tip #104 is also the rose petal tip. I have trouble getting the right consistency of icing. The icing that comes out of the smaller end is always jagged. I think it's because my icing is too thick. I need to investigate this question on cakecentral. I'll add this to my list of things to practice...

If you have a second check out this video I added to my favorite things list. It's a little girl eating a pretend "scrumptious" cake. It's really cute...

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Ok... maybe it's me... but that little girl creeps me out.

Michelle said...

aww cute cake! and an even cuter picture of Cindy!
I'm sorry I missed you guys too, and I won't be there this weekend either, school has officially taken over and ruined my life until May.