Sunday, December 16, 2007

Cake Extravaganza











This blog is out of order. My intention was to blog about the cakes I made during my Wilton Class and then subsequent cakes. But I didn't get a chance to blog about them yet, and I spent the day making cakes and want to post... So, it's out of order. Oh well. I do have a slight version of OCD or some other obsessively organized disease but I'm getting over it. I'm just running out of time to care about some details... A good life lesson to learn, I think. Pick your battles...
So, Today was a day dedicated to my cakes. I worked hard on Saturday to be able to spend Sunday working hard at my cakes. I stated the morning off by making 4- 6" cakes and 2- 9" cakes and 36 cupcakes. In between cake making I managed to fit in two loads of wash and made soup for lunch... My friend Jen came over to help around noon (that's jen in the pic). It was nice to have company and someone to share my cake knowledge with... Jen made her first crumb layer as well as worked with fondant for the first time... I think she is getting the "cake bug".

After making 4 batches of BC icing and thinning out a batch of RI I sat down to try to figure out what cakes I would be attempting today. My goal was to make a cake for the food service staff at three of the schools I work with. I also wanted to make a cake for the office party on Tuesday. So the goal was 4 cakes in one day... Yikes.

Jen helped me with the Snowman Mug Cake. It turned out really cute, just took a while for the many steps.
1. Crumb Layer in BC white
2. Coloring the BC and then icing the cake
3. Make fondant Snowman- Cut with circle cookie cutters
4. Color fondant for nose and scarf (Jen loves to accessorize :)
5. Color black BC Icing for eyes and Buttons
6. Color "hot Chocolate" fondant and roll out
7. Go to the store to buy Marshmallow (who has them on hand???)
8. 5 hours later attach the snowman to the sides with BC as well as the marshmallow and the dollop of "whipped cream" which is BC Icing.

Of course all four cakes were done throughout the day. For ease of blogging I'll summarize each separately.

The next cake was the
Cupcake Wreath

1. Build base our of cardboard box and covered with tin foil (very classy)
2. Arrange Cupcakes in wreath shape
3. Color BC Icing Green
4. Use grass tip and cover cupcakes with random layering of icing.
5. Go to store to buy a round shaped red candy (only think I could find was Atomic Bomb's)
6. Add a bow- you will notice my cake doesn't have a bow. I tried but Rite Aid was closed and I didn't have any luck anywhere else. Oh well, you get the point, I think it looks like a wreath...

Snow Flake Cake
By this point, I'm tired of making cakes and wanted to take any shortcut I could find. I had a vision of this cake being covered in RI poinsettia's... but that didn't happen. I instead borrowed three RI snowflakes I made on Friday for a different cake, added a round boarder and that's it... It turned out nice, but I definitely lost steam.

So after 11 hours of making and decorating cakes I feel like a rock star... I mean A CAKESTAR!!!



No comments: